Blasphemy Day
Add Reply
David Dalton
2024-09-29 23:39:05 UTC
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
--
David Dalton ***@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)
Jan Poulsen
2024-09-30 07:21:06 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
Blasphemy: A law to protect an all-powerful, supernatural deity from
getting its feelings hurt -- Ricky Gervais

Jan Poulsen
sora
2024-10-01 17:16:28 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
religion from 2k or 1k or 200 or even 50 years ago is no longer
relevant.
Bob Casanova
2024-10-02 04:10:22 UTC
On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 17:16:28 +0000, the following appeared in
Post by sora
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
religion from 2k or 1k or 200 or even 50 years ago is no longer
relevant.
Relevant to what?
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
shogun
relevant to helping people navigate life in 2020s and post.
Don_from_AZ
2024-10-02 16:08:20 UTC
Post by sora
Post by David Dalton
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
religion from 2k or 1k or 200 or even 50 years ago is no longer
relevant.
Relevant to what?
relevant to helping people navigate life in 2020s and post.
It's relevant if you live anywhere in the Islamic controlled world, and
many other places as well.
-Don-
Bob Casanova
2024-10-02 16:46:12 UTC
On Wed, 02 Oct 2024 09:08:20 -0700, the following appeared
in sci.skeptic, posted by Don_from_AZ
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
religion from 2k or 1k or 200 or even 50 years ago is no longer
relevant.
Relevant to what?
relevant to helping people navigate life in 2020s and post.
It's relevant if you live anywhere in the Islamic controlled world, and
many other places as well.
Yep. The answer to which you replied is hopelessly
parochial; "it's irrelevant to my immediate social circle,
therefore it's irrelevant for everyone and everywhere".
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
shogun
2024-10-02 16:59:04 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
Post by David Dalton
Sept. 30 is Blasphemy Day, which from Wikipedia “educates
individuals and groups about blasphemy laws and defends freedom
of expression, especially the open criticism of religion which is
criminalized in many countries”.
religion from 2k or 1k or 200 or even 50 years ago is no longer
relevant.
Relevant to what?
relevant to helping people navigate life in 2020s and post.
It's relevant if you live anywhere in the Islamic controlled world, and
many other places as well.
Yep. The answer to which you replied is hopelessly
parochial; "it's irrelevant to my immediate social circle,
therefore it's irrelevant for everyone and everywhere".
i would regard religious people as fundamentally wrong, being on
the wrong side of history. being wrong also means it provides no
benefit to its adherents. they are choosing to become obsolete.
Bob Casanova
2024-10-02 22:40:10 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
[...]
There was no need to confirm what I wrote; I already knew I
was correct.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
shogun
nice. so are you a pious person?
Bob Casanova
2024-10-03 03:38:32 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
[...]
Why do you ask? It wouldn't affect the accuracy of my
comment either way.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
shogun
2024-10-03 08:00:25 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
Post by David Dalton
[...]
i have no qualms with its accuracy. i am curious and want to know
the kind of views believers and non-believers espouse.
Bob Casanova
2024-10-03 23:40:39 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
[...]
Hopefully, both "espouse" the same reality, the facts of
which are not subject to belief or disbelief.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
shogun
that's a nice dream.
Bob Casanova
2024-10-04 16:10:32 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by sora
[...]
Isn't it, though?

Have a nice day, and try to expand beyond your parochialism
WRT the relevance of religion; the world isn't identical to
your social circle.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"